Samsung Electronics is recalling its flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphone and has said that battery problems were behind phones catching fire.
The decision follows reports in the US and South Korea of the phone “exploding” during or after charging.
The South Korean company said customers who had already bought the phone would be able to swap it for a new one.
Samsung said it had been difficult to work out which phones were affected among the 2.5 million Note 7s sold.
OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM SAMSUNG INDIA ON GALAXY NOTE7 DELAY:
Samsung is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue.
To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have delayed sales of the Galaxy Note7 in India.
We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. – Samsung India Spokesperson